Decluttering My Home: My Journey to Minimalism | natashadenness.co.uk (photo of a rocking chair)

Decluttering and letting go of my past

As a blogger, I mostly share the good stuff. It’s not because I want to paint a rose-tinted view of my life. But because I like to focus on the positives rather than the negatives. It’s how I prefer to live my life.

During my 30s, I experienced more than my fair share of bad luck, and on reflection, I realise my vintage collecting was one way of coping. It took my mind off things, and when I was having a hard time, it felt nice to treat myself.

When I downsized from a three-bedroom house to a two-bedroom apartment in 2011, I had to let go of a lot of stuff. What began as a downsizing project became a life-changing journey. One that motivated me to re-evaluate my values and how I lived my life. For this reason, my decluttering was about letting go of my past to make space for my future.

Decluttering My Home: My Journey to Minimalism | natashadenness.co.uk (photo of a grey sofa and cushion)

Embracing minimalism and simple living

Following the move, I took a break from decluttering. I wanted to let the dust settle after so much change. I also wanted to reflect on how far I’d come and if I was ready to continue on this journey. After all, it’s hard to change the habits of a lifetime and go against the grain.

Collect moments not things

I also reflected on the joyful feelings I have when I’m on holiday. The calmness that comes from a couple of weeks living with only essential items plus a few of my favourite things. I began to wonder if a minimalist life would give me the same feelings of calmness and peace all year round!

So as 2014 began, following a period of feeling continually busy, I drastically reduced things further. The declutter set me on a journey towards a calmer, simpler and easier life. One that felt lighter, provided a greater sense of contentment, and gave me my time back.

Decluttering My Home: My Journey to Minimalism | natashadenness.co.uk (photo of a living room with a grey sofa)

Reuse and recycle

I didn’t want to send any of my possessions to landfill, so I donated the majority to charity, and I sold the rest. My donations raised £109 for Helen and Douglas House, £123 for Sue Ryder and I’m waiting to hear from Cancer Research. With a simpler life, I plan to live more sustainably by buying less and being mindful of where and how things are made and packaged.

‘Buy less, choose well.’ – Vivienne Westwood

Further reading

My decluttering tips
Ten ways I simplified my life
How to simplify your life

Thank you, as always, for stopping by. I hope you have a wonderful day. Until next time, I’ll see you over on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.

17 Comments

1. Avatar
    http://evaetsandra.com/ 11th May 2014 at 9:27 am - Reply

I'm totally agree with Vivianne and you "less is more"! I think I have to do the same thing in my house.
    Your home looks so pretty ;)
    Have a nice sunday. xo

2. Avatar
    Ingrid Orens 11th May 2014 at 9:52 am - Reply

I'm still not ready for the "less is more" attitude… *sigh*… My obsession with collection things, always gets in the way.. Can be difficult at times, trying to combine a collecting-addiction with an obsession for order & tidiness…
    Btw, love your Paul Smith on the wall !!

3. Avatar
    my little red suitcase 11th May 2014 at 12:55 pm - Reply

it looks incredibly clear! the thing I struggle most with is inherited furniture and about a small room full of photo albums. I just can't seem to make head way with those! you certainly look as though you have been having adventures, I like the idea of spending money on adventures rather than buying lots of things, or at least I do in theory! Heather x

4. Avatar
    Patty Radish 11th May 2014 at 4:24 pm - Reply

I love how you can appreciate each lovely and unique piece in your rooms!

5. Avatar
    tinajo 11th May 2014 at 6:38 pm - Reply

Great pillows! Oh, I´m with you – I never save anything just for saving it – it has to be something special with it; something that makes me happy. Too much schtuff makes me nervous..! :-D

6. Avatar
    jessthetics 11th May 2014 at 9:57 pm - Reply

I love your beautiful house! I definitely want to reduce the amount of things I have, tripping over stuff really frustrates me. I think if you have less things it's easier to enjoy what you do have. Plus, I really do appreciate the "buy less, choose well" mantra. I like your spotty tablecloth and the gorgeous art above your table :) xx

7. Avatar
    Katie 11th May 2014 at 10:23 pm - Reply

I totally love that holiday feeling too. Even the kids are happier with less. Probably because we parents don't have to spend as much time picking up after them AND us. So we are all happier and spend more time together. But I really, really struggle to keep the clutter at bay. It's hard to appreciate things when they are surrounded by stuff. It's quite nice to rotate items, but then where to store them when not in use…

8. Avatar
    Patchwork Harmony 12th May 2014 at 6:22 am - Reply

I'm still trying to do this but it's a challenge! Not cos I don't want to rid of stuff but it's the process! Which stuff do you sell, charity shop, bin etc. and then there's the boring stuff u can't get rid of like paperwork etc. so trying to find storage solutions for that…

9. Avatar
    Victoria Eales 12th May 2014 at 10:30 am - Reply

I feel the same, maybe it's an age thing… I've learned that just because I love something doesn't mean I have to own it or collect every last piece of it. I prefer to have things in my home I love and use rather than just because.

That said I'm by no means a minimalist either. It makes me laugh when I think I've had a real declutter and there isn't as much stuff around and then friends come in and they're like 'you have so much stuff'!

Victoria
    FlorenceandMary.com

10. Avatar
    Rakel 12th May 2014 at 3:17 pm - Reply

so cool!!

11. Avatar
    KatGotTheCream 12th May 2014 at 3:53 pm - Reply

I'm definitely thinking more carefully about the things I buy, especially the charity shop knick-knacks. I've also just done a wardrobe detox and ebayed a pile of clothes. I just need to start on the kids' toy mountain now! Your home lounge looks great xx

12. Avatar
    claire 12th May 2014 at 9:34 pm - Reply

I love your taste. A minimalist backdrop filled with quality splashes of colour!! Lovely.
    Claire xx | somewhere… beyond the sea

13. Avatar
    Ali 13th May 2014 at 12:31 pm - Reply

I feel exactly the same whenever I return from holiday. I find our stuff overwhelming. A few years ago, our neighbours lost their house to a fire and terrible and traumatic as it was, I couldn't help envy the instant removal of all the clutter. Isn't that terrible?

14. Avatar
    CraveCute 14th May 2014 at 7:14 pm - Reply

Your place is beautiful! I've started doing the same, only keeping the best! I keep upgrading my collections and have been selling off some of the items I think others will love. Anyway, you can always change your mind and buy more!

15. Avatar
    Lost Girl Found 14th May 2014 at 7:38 pm - Reply

I'm definitely trying to do the same although I don't want to be minimalist. I'd just like to cut it down to the stuff I use and/or enjoy.

16. Avatar
    mrsmsmeanderings 21st May 2014 at 1:31 pm - Reply

I swear decluttering is good for the soul – it always brings me a sense of satisfaction and calm, and I love that I can get that same feeling even from a tiny little decluttering project, like a single drawer. We moved to a much bigger house in January with loads of storage space, but I'm very mindful that I don't want to hoard stuff for the sake of it, and I'm trying hard to get rid of anything I no longer want or need. Great photos, by the way.

17. Avatar
    Zoë Power 22nd May 2014 at 7:29 pm - Reply

Good work on the decluttering. It's so wonderful to have space to breathe and space for things to shine. I think we're going to embark on a declutter project very soon – the more we can lose now, the less we have to pack!! It's amazing what you accumulate in 7 years….